Saturday, July 12, 2008

What to do... what to do...

So I've got a few dilemmas to figure out. Perhaps some of you can offer insight.

First, I'm planning a two week trip to England in the fall, and I need some ideas of places to go, things to see, etc. What are some places that are must-see, and what are some places that are better missed? In case any read this who don't know already, I was born in England, moved to Canada when I was 4, and haven't been back since. I'm very excited to go back, if only for a couple weeks. I'll have my dad with me for the first week, and then I'll be on my own for a week. Any ideas?

Secondly, the iPhone just made it into Canada. I'm trying to decide between the following two options:
  1. I buy an iPhone.
  2. I buy a Blackberry and an iPod touch.
The rate plans for the iPhone and the Blackberry are similar to one another (or they are now, after Rogers was pressured into lowering their projected iPone rate plans after much public outcry), and so it's really a matter of features. Do I want my main music player to be integrated into my phone? Do I want full GPS with route mapping and turn-by-turn directions (not included with iPhone)? Do I want to have the latest and greatest in gadgets? Should I hold off on the iPhone until they improve some of their issues? Should I look at an iPhone alternative (i.e. another touch screen phone)? Do I even want a touch screen phone, especially a touch screen only phone (I can text & drive fairly safely with actual buttons, since I don't have to keep looking at the screen)? Let me know what you think.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm... can't really help you with the England thing. I know I have heard that paying to go see Stonehenge (sp?) isn't worth it though. You pay a lot and don't see it much better than you can from outside the grounds... they only let you get about 100 feet closer. Sorry I'm not much help. Write Krystal (Albers) Alston though, she just got back a few months ago from a vacation to the good ol' UK.

My personal opinion... I would get a blackberry and wait on the iphone. I have a girlfriend in the states who loves her iPhone, but is constantly taking it in to get "glitchs" fixed... it just has a few kinks that haven't been ironed out. She also hates that she can't text and drive... lol! Cause you have to be able to look at the screen to be able to tell if you are pressing the right button.. jmho though.

Ps. If there is spelling or grammer mistakes in this... too dang bad! lol! I am going to download firefox soon though.

Louisa said...

England: When I went there, my favourite places to visit were York, Lake District, Land's End, and a town near Land's End where they have an open-air theatre carved right into the cliffs, overlooking the ocean. I for get the name of the town, but the theatre is called the Minack Theatre.

I also enjoyed castle-hopping in Wales and Scotland. Edinburgh is a great city too.

One place I wish I'd spent more time is London. Tons to do there. There's a Canadian war monument in St. James Park.

iPhone or Blackberry: Seems to me the iPhone is built more for fun/personal use, while Blackberries are for work or more serious usage. I haven't used either, though.

I have an iPod touch (borrowed from work) and a nano, and I can tell you unequivocally that I prefer the nano, by miles! The touch is bigger and heavier, but essentially useless unless you have ubiquitous wi-fi access (which I don't, and doesn't seem to be as common as people think). Minus the wi-fi, the only thing it's good for is playing music and displaying pictures. You can't make notes or a to-do list, do offline email, etc. Also, I prefer buttons to a touch screen. A touch screen is never quite as accurate as you want it to be.

So, that's what I know, based on my experience. Whatever you wind up choosing, I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you.

P.S. My word verification for posting this comment is "mbrew" which is very Homer Simpson-ish. Mmmm, beer. Lol.

Louisa said...

Oh, and if you're into theatre even a little bit, you've got to take in a Shakespeare play somewhere in England. It's just extra special there somehow. :-)

Anonymous said...

I sincerely hope you are joking about texting and driving. Just as stupid as drunk driving if you ask me!!!

BBKing77 said...

I know, I know... I shouldn't text and drive. It's not a frequent occurrence.

Occasionally, however, when I'm on the highway and I get a text, I'll quickly read it, and then I'll text a reply without even looking (I just glance at it before I send it to make sure it's right.)

Still, it's terrible, and I'll probably go to hell for it. Oh well! I'd probably stop doing this as much if I had an iPhone.

Oh, and after playing with an iPhone yesterday, I REALLY want one!!! I think I'll probably get it pretty soon.

Mrs. Alston said...

just read this post. i was in england, it was fabulous! i'd totally go to London Tower, skip london bridge, its lame, Go see Phantom of the Opera in Her Majesties Theatre. Though my favorite part of the trip was in Wales. Went to a place called Big Pit, it was super cool, (mining museum) and all the castles are really awesome! St. Fagans was also amazing! (its like a fort edmonton, in that it has all the welsh heritage and things, and has th emost beautiful estate house and grounds!) I also loved going to Westminster Abby!