Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Regardless of what you may think...

Irregardless is not a real word!!! So says Washington State University anyway. And while others may disagree, I think we should abandon its usage in the English language. I cringe when I hear it, and I feel queasy when I read it! It should be noted that, while I found plenty of references to its actuality as a word (each letter in the word "other" above contains a different link), there appears to be an agreement that this word should not be used, especially in writing, as it is considered "incorrect" or "nonstandard".

(Sorry for the rant. Some guy near my office was just using the word about 50 times in a conversation with another guy. I was nearly brought to tears!)

4 comments:

Louisa said...

Wow. We finally found someone more anal then I am about language. :-) (Though I agree with you about irregardless.) You should be a Language Arts teacher.

BBKing77 said...

Weeza, please tell me that you deliberately used "then" instead of "than" in your comment to gauge my reaction. :)

I think the reason I was so mortified earlier was that this putrid disembowelment of the English language was being spewed forth by a management level staff member at an institute of higher education. *shudder*

Visichy said...

Irregardless of your dislike of the word, I reserve the right to use it LOL.

Louisa said...

BBK - the "then" was a typo, not an attempt to raise your blood pressure, lol.