Sunday, February 18, 2007

Hockey talk...

So, the Oilers are having a rough road trip so far. I'd sure like to see them turn this around, but they took a step in the wrong direction today, in my opinion. That is, unless they're just prepping for a better move. Here's the scoop...

They traded Marc-Andre Bergeron today to the NY Islanders for some prospective defenceman named Denis Grebeshkov, who's not expected to play at the NHL level at all this season. I mean, I'm as impressed with their calling up Zach Stortini as the next guy, but they've been struggling on defence all season. And I was just starting to warm up to Bergeron, after the grudge I had against him for being responsible for the injury to Roli in the finals that, in my opinion, as well as many others opinions, made the difference in allowing Carolina to take the cup. Anyway, I'm just hoping that the reason they've made this trade is to open up some salary cap room to do two things: re-sign Ryan Smyth, and acquire a bigger defenceman. What I really hope they haven't done is give up on the season and resigned themselves to
rebuilding for next season.

2 comments:

Louisa said...

Yeah, I kind of wondered if this was the beginning of a fire sale. I'm no big fan of Bergeron, he has made several game-losing mistakes on the ice this year and doesn't always seem to gel with the rest of the team, but they traded him away for someone who's not even playing in the NHL. Their blue line is now a dotted line. :-( I hope you're right, that this is a precursor to getting Smyth or a solid defenseman signed. And SOON!

Visichy said...

I have no comment to make. Just wanted to say hi :D