Sunday, January 7, 2007

Wow! What a crazy day...

Ok, I don't want to sound preachy or anything, but you know how you hear those stories about a Church pageant that was held out doors, and the rain stops for the duration of the show, and then once they finish it begins to pour again? Well have I got a story for you. But first, let take things in order...

So I get up this morning, get ready to go to church, and head out. I was fairly well prepared to teach my class, but my voice wasn't. This crazy infection his practically made a mute out of me. Anyway, time for class comes around, and I make it through the lesson. My voice was crackly the whole time, but I somehow made it through. It was actually one of the best lessons I've taught in a while. I think it almost helps to talk so quietly, as everyone really has to pay attention in order to hear me. I may have to just speak more quietly whenever I teach. Anyway, the class went well, and I got quite a few compliments afterwards. (I find that when the classes go better, people I don't know well will compliment, but when they're sub-par, my friends compliment.) Anyway, it went well, and then after church, we all ate together. Mmmm... BBQ burgers!!! Then I thought I'd go home and rest my voice so that perhaps I might be able to sing this evening. Plans changed as I got invited over to someone's house for dessert and games. This probably wasn't the best thing for me to do. Oh well.

The time for singing was hastily approaching, and I had no voice. I tried the warm salt-water gargle, and it helped a bit. Anyway, I went to the church to practice with the others before the performance. I pushed my voice through one complete run-through. It was quite shaky, and I cut out a couple of times. (Time for a silent prayer, and a Fisherman's Friend.) Anyway, I tried to save my voice as much as possible until it was time to sing. Little did I know, we were second last in the program, and I had long since dissolved my last lozenge. The time came, I joined the others in the group on the stand, and we sang. I sang. The notes just came out, and in key even. So then, I go to sit down and listen to the final number. There was then a closing congregational hymn. Halfway through said hymn my voice fell apart again.

Again, I don't mean this to sound overly preachy, but I know that I was blessed with temporary relief from my voice problems to sing this song. It was literally about 5 minutes after I sat down that my voice died again. While this wasn't walking on water, or any great vision or something, this was still a bona fide miracle, at least to me. And people say that the days of miracles are over. I beg to differ.

3 comments:

Louisa said...

Cool story. I hope your voice recovers permanently soon. Also - funny (but true) observation about compliments!

Carlson02 said...

Glad you were able to teach and sing. I truely beleive that miracles come in small every day experiences most of the time, and not the huge events that some people like to believe. I agree with the compliments comment. Hope you get better soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the voice miracle is amazing. My voice has been hoarse for months now and almost no sound comes out when I sing. I miss that. Maybe I should join your singing group?