Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Soap opera from my soap obx

Ok, so it's been a while since I wrote on here. I've had a couple people pester me about it. Well, the time has come once again...

Oh, but it's rant time...

So I hop in the shower and I reach for my "shower gel" and I start to think about why nobody uses soap anymore. I just can't figure it out. I mean, people have been using soap for thousands of years. Have we, as a species, evolved some sort of chemical immunity to its effectiveness, or some sort of negative reaction to its substance? When was the announcement made (outside of advertisements, that is) that soap is harmful and/or ineffective? I have heard arguments against soap bars due to possible bacteria that can live on them (though an antibacterial soap should take care of that), but liquid soap should have no such susceptibility.

So why the trend toward other so-called "cleansers" and "detergents"? I'm no chemical expert, but how are we to know that these products and their components are less harmful and more effective than the dreaded soap. It wasn't that long ago that I remember seeing ads for Ivory soap touting its 99.44% purity ("A clean that's real as Ivory!") and how it was such a good thing for it to be pure soap. Now it's all about having as little soap in it as possible. I find it interesting how quick we are to adhere to the proclamations of advertising. Is there more to this than I know of?

I would love to get comments and information about this.

Thanks

4 comments:

Visichy said...

Why do you use "shower gel"? I use it because I don't like the way my skin feels after using soap. Not because of advertising or even for fear of bacteria... I just prefer the shower gels that I use. There are even some shower gels that I don't care for and will avoid.

But, having said that, Vince is the exact opposite. He likes the bar soap and prefers it over any shower gel. Men! :P

Louisa said...

Soap dries your skin out. Chemically, soap basically acts by bonding oil (like dirt and grime, but also your natural skin oils) to water (shower water) and then your shower washes them all away. Some soaps also leave a bit of a residue which is gross. If you have sensitive skin or skin prone to dryness, soap can be a problem. Body washes and shower gels are usually gentler, sometimes have moisturizers, etc.

I've noticed, though, that most shower gels are marketed towards women. I'm not sure if that means men's skin isn't as affected by soap, or if they just don't think about things like having soft smooth legs. :D

/science and marketing lessons

The Samples Sampler said...

I wait, months and months and months for you to update this blog and then I get so excited when I see that it has been updated. So I come to your blog and write about SOAP??? Seriously?? Way to get my hopes up! This blog sucks!

BTW, I have used soap and shower gel and have not noticed a difference except in the price. I stick to soap.

Maffers said...

I use neither! That's right clean freaks! Take it in. Take it alllllll in! GO NATURAL SELECTION!